Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WIAW Snack Attack

Happy Wednesday! Half way to the weekend!!! I am looking forward to Saturday, it's our good friend Amy's bachelorette weekend! We are going to a cool little town nearby to hit some wineries and have a great time!

I will be taking over the blog this week since Amy is super busy! She is finishing with teaching and is writing her thesis, so since I don't have neither on my plate (just a busy toddler!) I will be writing the posts until she is ready to breathe again.

On to WIAW snack attack, shall we? Thanks Jen from Peas and Crayons for hosting!


Today I was in snack mode! I don't know if it was because I woke up super early (5:20am!) to sneak a run in that threw my schedule off, but I fell hungry more than usual in the morning. I had my usual English muffin with almond butter breakfast, and was running out of my granola, so decided to try a new recipe...


Almond butter granola from Julie at Peanut Butter fingers. It couldn't be simpler and super fast!. I added chopped almonds for extra crunch. Just perfect!

I love adding granola to greek yogurt and some fruit. It makes the perfect afternoon snack to get me through my fitness classes and insanity!
 

Pineapple has been my latest choice with the yogurt and granola.

Farmer's market here in town is getting better, with more produce, which is exciting (being in a small town we get excited over little things!). This week I found these...




Sorry I didn't take a picture, so I just got this one out of Pinterest! It is amazing the difference a really fresh organic strawberry can make! Juice and super sweet, totally different from the one at the grocery store. I just put them in a bowl and left at the fridge for snacking. Great after dinner, and the munchkin loves them too!

Moving to lunch... being from Brazil, the staple food there is rice and beans. Meaning most households will have it every day. At my house there was rice and beans with some source of protein, vegetables and a green salad. It's kinda the way it was. I wasn't a huge fan, couldn't eat it every day, like my sister. But I still like it, and about once every couple of weeks I make it for myself and the fam!


I use dry beans I brought last time I was home and use the pressure cooker, but it's just pinto beans. I cooked a chicken sausage together and top it with brown rice. It is just so good, and a complete meal. I roasted some broccoli as well.

This week I tried a new vegetable. Jicama! I was surprised with its mild flavor, but strangely good! Because it doesn't have a lot of flavor, I used the salad dressing to jazz it up and it sure did the trick!


Salad with jicama, mangoes, strawberries and walnuts! I made a maple vinaigrette which was perfect with the salad. The jicama has almost the texture of an apple which gave a little crunch with the walnuts. Now I need to look for more jicama recipes!

That's it for tonight! Tomorrow will be my half race recap!

Have you tried a new vegetable lately??


No comments:

Post a Comment