Thursday, June 7, 2012

Girls on the Run is so Much FUN!!!


This past weekend I had the opportunity to run in one of my favorite races...  The annual Girls on the Run 5k!!!!  It's put on every year by a bunch of outstanding volunteers, and welcomes girls of all ages to participate in a 5k just for them.  To put it mildly, I LOVED it.  In fact I do every year!



My girls are up front ready to warm up before the race. 

 
I've been a GOTR coach for 8 years now!!!! I've coached sisters, cousins, girls of all different sizes and abilities. 


Our first attempt at a 5k- 12 laps around the school track.....I'm so glad we get to participate in a real 5k race!!!!



My first season as a coach was a definite learning experience.  To say I had a tough group would be putting it mildly.  IT was an uphill battle all the way!  But as the season wore on we found strength in each other and grew  both as individuals and as a team.  Since then the have flown by.....each year I learn a little bit more about myself and grow just a little more. 

I must say this season's team tops the rest!  I had a dynamic group of girls, 3rd -6th grade who were self motivated and couldn't wait to get out on the track and get in some miles. And by get in some miles I mean RUN.  This rarely is the case, most girls are satisfied with walking and the occasional jog. 


Girls on the Run is so much more than running...... It helps young girls find their inner strength and beauty.  It pushes them to do more and be more.  It challenges them to make better choices to improve their physical, mental and emotional health.  It is all that and more.  The bonding experiences that arise are unbelievable.  We truly are sisters with a common goal!





"The only requirement of having a dream is believing in it." 

Molly Barker (founder of Girls on the Run)





 For those of you who are passionate about running or want to inspire young women.  Being a GOTR coach is the next step!!!!

The Fit Spoon ~ Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment