Tuesday, May 29, 2012

PR and no devices needed

Hi guys!

How was your extended weekend? It is great to start the week on a Tuesday, isn't it? We sure did have a great weekend!
Friday night we headed to Traverse City where I had my first race of the season! I was super excited, but a little nervous too!
We had great weather the whole week, and of course.... rain was on the schedule for Saturday and Sunday! Not too excited about running in the rain... However, and I woke up to check the weather first thing, no rain on site, and the day was looking pretty good! 59C , the perfect running temp!

The 10K started at 7:30am, so hubby dropped me off around 7 so I could find the starting line and get ready.



So I went to join the other runners and get ready. I had charged my garmin the night before and was ready to go (so as I thought). As it was checking for satellite, a nice little beep appears and the my garmin is gone! DEAD! It kept turning on and off and making that annoying beep. I had a couple minutes of freaking out, then I realized that it was not going to do any better, it's just a watch, right? But I am so used to running with my garmin only and keeping up the pace that I was a little concerned I was not going to be able to keep the pace I wanted.

Right before we started, I found a girl that comes to my spin class, I knew she ran at about the same pace as me, so we kinda stayed together. And then we were off!

It was such a fun run, right by the other, pretty flat and the view was amazing. As soon as we started I forgot about my garmin and just listened to my body, how I was feeling and concentrating on keeping the pace that felt right at the moment.

The result?

A PR!!!! I was soooo excited when I saw the clock at the finish line.

Official time: 47:11

I know that garmin is great and I don't think I would be running this much if it wasn't for this little cool tech device. But it was great to see that sometimes we just need to feel the body and listen to it, and just go with it!

I will keep using my garmin of course (as soon as I find what the heck is wrong with it!), but I will rely more on my body for the pace and let the garmin track my distance!

After I finished I had to find Derek and Holly, and I was awarded with the best hug!


After a well deserved shower it was time to enjoy the day with the family! We stayed at Traverse City and did some sight seeing, shopping and some good eating!


Posing for the camera!


Sleeping bear dunes

And let's not forget the best...



After a couple of wine tastings we took home two great white wines. Red is just not my thing!

And that was our weekend! Now looking forward to the first HALF MARATHON of the season in a couple weeks! To Garmin or not to Garmin???

Oh.... and don't forget to stretch after you run! :)



Have you ever encountered any device problem right before your race?


 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an awesome time!!! I'm seriously impressed!

    ReplyDelete