Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ZuMbA!!!

Join the party.....Zumba!

Have you ever tried Zumba?  

I'm sure by now everyone has heard of the dance party that has swept the nation over the last few years.  Zumba is a a group fitness class that uses latin and international music to get your body moving.  

A spoon full from Amy

I tried Zumba for the first time three years ago.  Previous to that I had been running, taking the  occasional spin class and doing pilates.  I was getting pretty bored with my routine, so I decided I needed to try something new.  Julia talked me into trying her Zumba class.  After my first session I was hooked!

The first class was definitely crazy, I had no idea how uncoordinated I was!  But don't worry- that's how everybody feels their first time.  Soon after my first class, I started attending regularly.

Zumba is a great way to burn some calories while having fun!  The time goes by so fast (I never catch myself watching the clock), plus the music is great!

If you have not tried it yet, you need to!!!!!


A spoon full from Julia...

When it comes to exercise, I like a lot of variety. And that's how I found Zumba. After I got married almost 6 years ago (wow!) we both got into a little "lazy stage". We were teaching tennis until 8-9pm and the last thing we wanted to do was to cook. So we always went out to eat, or got take out. And wait for it.... had to have some ice cream in the fridge! Being on the court for so many hours was brutal and we always ended up overeating at night.

Since just playing tennis was not cutting it, I decided to join a gym. That's when I fell in love with spinning and yoga, and soon I was feeling fit again. Zumba was just starting to get big, and I had no idea what it was so I decided to give it a try. One class. That was all it took. I was completely hooked! Yes, you do feel awkward at the beginning, and you feel like everybody is watching you (but they really are too busy trying to keep up with the moves!). Once you pass that awkwardness the you start having fun.

Anyways, a few years later we moved to Michigan and I had the opportunity to start teaching at the local college. I got certified and I've been teaching for 3 years! It is definately the most challenge class out of the ones I teach. It is not easy to shake your booty in front of a bunch of people you don't know! Plus you have to KNOW all the choreography, all the music and a lot of practice is involved. Out of all the classes I currently teach Zumba is the most time consuming and the one that takes the most preparation for it, but all the hard work pays off when you realize the power you have of making 20+ people smiling because of you!




On another note, we decided to start the blog craze a bunch of bloggers already started. Jenn from Peas and Crayons started WIAW (What I ate Wednesday), so we thought it would be fun to join in! Every Thursday we will be blogging about our Wednesday eating (good or bad!). This month is the veggie edition, so let's get our green on!



What kind of exercise makes you smile?





No comments:

Post a Comment